Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Giving Thanks - Day 2: Family

In addition to my 3 wonderful boys, I am blessed with an abundance of family.  Some of us share birth parents and others of us were separated at birth.

I am incredibly thankful and lucky that my parents live 2 miles away.
When I pick up the boys from daycare I have to turn right out of the parking lot to get to our house and left to get to "Mamommy" and "Dadaddy's" house.  If I DARE to turn right I will hear "NOOOO, go THAT way, no mommy gooooo THAAAAAT WAY"  from the backseat.

Divorce sucks, no doubt about it, but in my case it has blessed me with not one, but two sets of fabulous in-laws (and a bunch of brothers and sisters).
Grammie and PopPop live here in town and we get to spend time with them often. GG and Papa live in South Dakota and through the power of the internet we get to "see" them regularly too, although they're a little harder to hug that way and that makes us sad. 

I am the youngest of 7. My parents refer to us as "his, mine and ours" but the word "half" never preceeds brother or sister when I talk about my siblings.  Vann, Michael, David and Robin from my mom's first marriage along with Robert and William from my dad's first marriage plus their spouses and children made a "small" wedding an impossibility.

And then there is the family that doesn't float in the same gene pool.  I love the fact that my BFF Meg had to explain to her eldest daughter the difference between biological family and friends that are so close that you refer to them as family.  From the moment Anna was born I had a connection with her that was as close as any of my biological neices and nephews and that's because her mother knows too much about me  is my oldest, closest and dearest friend.  25 years ago (holy mother of God we're old) this weird really cool girl kept riding by my house on her new moped and i was so jealous and we took it from there.  We spent most every day of our junior and senior years of high school together, went to the same college for a couple of year, were the maid/matron of honor in each others weddings, have been there for the births of our children and the deaths of loved ones, through the good times and the bad.  The rest is history (and much should stay that way) but I wouldn't trade a minute of it for all the money in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment