Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Great Pantry Project

I am really excited about my participation in Home Storage Solutions 101's 52 Week Organized Home Challenge.  My BFF Meg turned me onto it and its just the right motivation I need to get this house in shape.  Some weeks are easier than others, but week 3's challenge was a one I really needed.  Week 3 was when we are on vacay so I was a little late getting it done, but the challenge was to organize your pantry, spices and food storage areas.  I'm lucky enough to have 2 pantries.  One in the kitchen and one in the back hall.  both are very deep and although that allows for TONS of storage, without the right organization it makes for a lot of shifting of stuff to get to what you want.  I can't tell you how many times I've knocked a can onto my toes while digging for a can at the back...ouch!  So, here are the pic to show the transformation(s).

Before (R had already started unloading a bit)
Holy cow that's a lot of stuff!  But,....
that wasn't all of it!!!







Whew!  Empty and ready for a good dusting. (Thanks R!)
Can anyone guess what this is?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yep, a billion "Q" bars (and there are more in the other pantry)!


It took two trips to the container store, stops at three different Walmarts, a trip to the restaurant supply store, only to find the same containers for half price at Sam's Club and then a return trip to the restaurant supply store, but all in all I think its worth it.  Take a look at the results!


Do you hear the angels in heaven singing??? I do!!!
The top shelf is cereal, then below that is a tub for Rice & Potatoes
and another for Pasta.  Behind them are "box mixes" like stove top, potatoes
and some cheater meal starters. 
I think this shelf is my favorite.  Can heaven!  LtoR: tomatoes, veggies
beans/fruit, "eating" soups and cooking soups.  The only disappointment
is that the the racks are made for soda cans so our big Progresso Soup cans
don't really work well in them.  BUT, I do love that there is enough room on top
for miscellaneous little cans like tomato paste, mushroom and tuna.
The shelf below the cans are snacks in categorized baskets: crackers,
cookies, fruit, fruit snacks (yes, they need their very own basket,
we love them!), popcorn and "Q" bars (granola bars to common
folks...no idea where G got Q bar from)
My baking center!  Oatmeal, brown sugar, splenda, powdered sugar, chocolate
chips, etc. are in Tupperware on the bottom shelf.  On the floor I have my fabulous
new containers for flour and sugar as well as a plastic cartthat I've had forever.
After power washing off 5011 layers of dirt and grim and taking the wheels off, it
becomes a great place to store cake/bread mixes and other misc. lesser used
baking products. The only thing you can't see is a can rack from the container
store that is behind the raising that isholding evaporated milk, sweetened
condensed milk, etc.  I woudl NOT recommend this one, in fact i would have taken
it back if I hadn't scuffed it up so bad with the pliers trying to make it work for
the cans above.  But it works fine for those smaller type of cans.


And the stockpile pantry: Before....




...and AFTER.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: